BREAKING: Federal Appeals Court Rejects Trump’s Authority to Impose Sweeping Tariffs

This post was originally published on this site

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Friday rejected President Trump’s authority to impose sweeping tariffs in a 7-4 decision.

“The Government appeals a decision of the Court of International Trade setting aside five Executive Orders that imposed tariffs of unlimited duration on nearly all goods from nearly every country in the world, holding that the tariffs were not authorized by the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. § 1701 et seq. Because we agree that IEEPA’s grant of presidential authority to “regulate” imports does not authorize the tariffs imposed by the Executive Orders, we affirm,” the Federal Appeals Court said.

A court battle over President Trump’s tariffs is playing out in a district court and the Court of International Trade.

Earlier this year the federal appeals court temporarily reinstated President Trump’s tariffs after the Court of International Trade in New York said President Trump exceeded his authority to impose tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 (IEEPA).

However, after further consideration, the same federal appeals court in June ruled that President Trump’s sweeping tariffs could remain in effect while the Trump Administration mounted a legal challenge.

The federal Circuit Court heard arguments on the case on July 31 and the tariffs remained in effect until Friday’s decision.

BREAKING…please check back for updates.

The post BREAKING: Federal Appeals Court Rejects Trump’s Authority to Impose Sweeping Tariffs appeared first on The Gateway Pundit.